KC Sharepoint Conference

The company I work for, Quilogy (now part of Aspect), will be hosting the Sharepoint 2010 conference in Kansas City on April 29th, 2010. Please follow the link below for additional information.
 

Windows Phone 7 Series

I am a cell phone junkie. I love having the latest and greatest phones. I should correct myself and say I love having the latest and greatest smartphones. From the Palm Treo to the Touch HD. I also love the Windows Mobile platform. I was always on the lookout for the newest ROM on xdadevelopers so that I could have the latest features on my phone. However, when 6.5 came out I was not that impressed. Yes it looked better than 6.0 but not that much better. So eventually I switched over to an Android phone (HTC Hero). Loved it immediately, but all the while I was thinking "why doesn’t Microsoft just take the Zune HD interface and make it into a phone". Well my wish came true with the Windows Phone 7 Series which was introduced on Tuesday by Microsoft at the Mobile World Conference.
 
In short, this new mobile OS from Microsoft is awesome! Combining the best of Zune, XBOX Live, Social Networking and a phone into a simple, easy to use interface. I can’t express how excited I am over the 7 series. Currently it is due out around the 2010 holiday season and if it lives up to what was presented and more, then I might be saying bye bye Android and hello again to my old friend Windows Moblie.
 
Check out a great review by Endgadget
 
 

Moving KPIs from one cube to another

Recently I have been doing some work with SSAS KPI’s and I found myself in a pickle. Most of my work on the KPI’s had been in a local development database and I was a t a stage where the KPI’s needed to be tested against a larger dataset. Since I had about 25 KPI’s I thought I would just script them out and add them to the larger cube. To my amazement and chagrin I found there wasn’t any built in way to script out KPI’s.
 
So after some thought I decided to attack this from the XMLA side. I scripted out my development cube and then started searching. I found what I was looking for at the bottom of the XMLA script. Tucked between <KPIs> </KPIs> was all of the XML for the 25 KPIs I had defined.
 
I copied the entire section between the <KPIs> tags and pasted that into notepad. Next I went to my new cube and scripted it out as an ALTER (very important). I then scrolled to the bottom of it and pasted my KPI definitions between the <KPI> tags. Syntax checked the file and then clicked execute.
 
Next I opened that new cube in BIDS and clicked on the KPI tab and voila! all of my KPI’s were there. I did notice some formatting issues with things like the status definitions,etc… but nothing that would prevent the KPI from running.
 
So, it wasn’t pretty but I was able to move the 25 KPIs to the new cube without having to redefine them again one at a time.